Only 9 percent of plastics are recycled — and at Environment Colorado, we won’t stand by and leave the next generation of Coloradans to clean up the other 91 percent.
That’s why, on March 10, Environment Colorado hosted its second annual (and first virtual) Plastic Pollution Youth Lobby Day. More than 400 students from across the state lobbied Colorado legislators via Zoom, urging them to support the Plastic Pollution Reduction Act. The act, which recently passed out of the House Energy and Environment Committee, would ban some of the worst single-use plastics in the state
“This bill shows the elected officials’ giant will and their capability for broad action to do the right thing for the benefit of all of humanity and planet earth itself. I implore all Colorado state representatives and state senators to support this bill and help pass it into law,” said student Madhvi Chittoor. “Let’s break free from plastic!”
Students were able to lobby key Colorado legislators, including U.S. Rep. Joe Neguse and Plastic Pollution Reduction Act sponsor state Rep. Lisa Cutter.
Learn more about our Wildlife Over Waste campaign.
Photo: Students from across the state logged in to speak with their representatives. Credit: Staff