Assistant to the President
The Executive Office of The Public Interest Network seeks an Assistant. We are looking for a smart, committed, and detail-oriented candidate to join our team to assist the President and Vice Presidents in managing the daily operations of the organization and in long-term planning.
Job Description and Key Responsibilities
The Executive Assistant will work within The Public Interest Network’s President’s Office to manage communications, support, and logistics for our national leadership team. You will play a key role in driving priorities and providing guidance and backup support to our national network of organizations. This position requires exercising discretion and good judgment in making important decisions. Representative responsibilities include:
- Leadership Staff Support: Ensure that the President, Vice Presidents, and other senior staff have the resources they need to meet organizational deadlines and goals. You will coordinate schedules, create and maintain systems for tracking work, and maintain organizational files and records.
- Communications: Review, edit, and summarize all internal communication coming into the President’s Office. Coordinate internal communication between staff including internal email updates, conference calls, and meetings.
- Event Logistics: The Public Interest Network hosts a range of events both virtual and in-person each year including staff retreats, campaign activities, trainings and Board meetings. You will be at the forefront of planning and organizing these events.
- Discretionary Projects: Drive, manage and/or participate in central projects that advance the long term goals of the organization. Provide guidance and evaluation as needed.
Ideally, you’ll have 1-3 years of professional experience but entry-level candidates with a passion for our issues, mission, and values and a strong desire to build a better world are also encouraged to apply. To be effective in this role, you need to be goal-driven, detail-oriented and highly organized, with the maturity to manage confidential and/or sensitive information.
In other words, a top candidate will have these qualities:
- Highly organized and results oriented. Do you love your planner? Are you able to do what it takes to get things done? You’ll need to manage your time effectively and balance priorities.
- Curious. Are you eager to ask “why” and then dig in to find the answer? Are you an observer that is constantly asking how things could be done more efficiently?
- Behind the scenes. Are you more interested in being behind the scenes than in front of the camera? You will need to be okay not making it into the headlines but knowing you play a pivotal role in getting things done.
- Passionate. Have you always wanted to do good in the world? Are you driven by saving the environment? This is hard work, but you’ll wake up every morning knowing you’re working to solve some of our biggest problems with a team of people just as motivated to make a difference as you are.
- Eager to learn. Do you want to learn how a non-profit makes concrete change in the world? This job will give you the chance to learn how our organization operates, and we have opportunities for advancement and additional training. This is a great job for entry-level candidates looking for where to start their career. Former staff have gone on to run programs and organizations within our network of organizations and out in the larger community for non profits, corporations and foundations.
About The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network operates and supports more than a dozen organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change.
Our work focuses on the problems that arise from America’s single-minded pursuit of endless economic growth. We’re still burning fossil fuels, even though it’s changing the climate. We keep giving antibiotics to healthy livestock, even though it’s creating antibiotic-resistant “superbugs.” We use plastic products for just a few minutes only to throw them away, where they pollute the ocean for centuries. Our campaigns challenge decision-makers, as well as all of us, to stop tolerating problems that are increasingly absurd in an age of advancing technology and growing abundance.
We take a principled, but pragmatic approach to creating change. We build organizations and run campaigns that connect big ideas to concrete policy changes that improve the quality of our environment and our lives. Over the past 45 years, we’ve won policies at the local, state, and national level that mean more wildlife and public lands are protected, we’re getting more energy from the sun and wind, and people are exposed to fewer dangerous and toxic products.
We’re transpartisan—we reach out to everybody who might agree with us and consider joining us, including liberals, conservatives and everyone in between. We value dialogue over polarization, and our campaigns prioritize making a difference over just making a statement. If you’re looking for work that’s a calling, not just a job, we hope you’ll apply.
Compensation & Benefits
The starting target annual compensation for this position is $36,000 – $38,000 and depends on relevant experience. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things to Know When You Apply
Why work with The Public Interest Network? Here are ten reasons: https://publicinterestnetwork.org/why-work-with-us/
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values to learn more.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.