The Public Interest Network is seeking a Grantwriter to write proposals, updates and other creative content to raise grant funding for a wide array of public interest campaigns and programs. The Grantwriter also will support our network’s advocates, organizers, attorneys, executive directors and development staff in their grant fundraising. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance.
The Public Interest Network operates and supports more than a dozen nonprofit advocacy groups, all working toward a greener and healthier country. Our organizations include PIRG, which advocates for consumers and the public interest; Environment America, which promotes policies and action that make the world a greener and healthier place; and the National Environmental Law Center, which takes legal action against companies that violate clean air and water laws.
- Writing and editing grant proposals, funder updates and grant reports, and other pitch materials such as slide presentations that promote our organizations’ programs, campaigns and values;
- Researching and identifying foundation and donor prospects, and helping to maintain the information in our central database;
- Working with grantseekers for our organizations: training staff to be effective grantseekers, acting as a clearinghouse for advice and information on funding strategy and the funding community, and working with the network’s management team to ensure as a movement we meet our grantseeking goals; and
- Building the movement by recruiting staff for our organizations, and supporting priority programs and projects which could include training entry-level staff, phone banking activists, and helping with events.
We are looking for writers with talent and passion for their craft. We also are looking for someone who is inspired by our shared vision for a better world and strategic approach to winning change that’s built to last, and who embraces our network’s core values, including a “transpartisan,” pragmatic, and problem-solving approach to making change, a laser-focus on results, and hard work. The Grantwriter position requires a two-year commitment.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant professional experience;
- Have exceptional expository writing and verbal persuasion skills, with the ability to translate complex campaigns and programs into compelling stories;
- Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, able to embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
- Be detail-oriented, deadline-driven, highly organized, and have excellent project management skills;
- Like, and be excellent at, working with and coaching people, but also be comfortable behind the scenes;
- Be able to work creatively and independently, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
Compensation and Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is $35,000-$43,000 and depends on relevant experience, education and location. Candidates on the low end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
Fund for the Public Interest will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.