The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to social change.
The mission of our in-house media communications department is to elevate our campaigns and positioning through increased media mentions and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts.
As Communications Specialist, you will be the point person for garnering coverage from DC-centric and other key journalists for our issues and campaigns and will be the main liaison between The Public Interest Network’s staff in the Eastern Time Zone and the media. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance.
- Project Management and Media Strategy: Take ownership of media campaigns from gestation to fruition, especially with our DC-based lobbying teams and our consumer programs. Develop comprehensive, multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing and Editing: Write and assist in writing news releases, blogs, position statements and internal memos. Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency, clarity and relevance.
- List Building and Networking: Build and maintain a list of media contacts. Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story Pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing and speaking skills. Match our stories to journalists’ needs. Reach audiences via phone, email and social media and digital platforms.
- Build our Team: Recruit and manage interns. Potential to oversee junior staff.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate wonky topics into layman’s terms.
- Can write and edit well enough to impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist.
- Can manage complex projects.
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented, lead by example, take initiative and learn from mistakes.
- Are digitally savvy with Google Suite, Microsoft Office and major social media platforms and can effectively use spreadsheets, databases and other technology.
- Preferably have 7+ years of experience in public/media relations and/or journalism. Experience at a nonprofit or in politics is a plus.
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials.
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position.
- Know how things work inside the Beltway, from Capitol Hill to the various Cabinet departments and other government agencies.
The Public Interest Network operates and supports more than a dozen organizations – including PIRG, Environment America and their state affiliates – committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to change.
Our work focuses on the problems that arise from America’s single-minded pursuit of endless economic growth: We’re still burning fossil fuels even though it’s changing the climate. We keep giving antibiotics to healthy livestock, even though it leads to “superbugs” that are antibiotic-resistant. We use plastic products for a few minutes only to throw them away so they pollute the oceans for centuries.
And our approach is unique: We focus on the big picture, but are relentlessly pragmatic and prioritize making a difference in people’s lives over making a statement. We work with everybody to make change happen, political ideology aside, championing good ideas wherever they come from. And we are serious about the work — we set clear goals, benchmarks and systems to measure our progress, and hold ourselves accountable to making change now and building for the future.
This unique approach gives even the newest staff an opportunity to make a concrete difference for the environment and the public interest — just as hundreds of dedicated staff have done over our 50 year history. If you want to add to this change-making legacy; if you have the passion and the drive that it takes; if you’re looking for a mission, not just a job — then let’s talk.
We have a preference for the greater Washington, D.C. area with travel to our federal lobby office at least 3 days per week.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting compensation range for this position is $42,000-$70,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Candidates on the lower end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Our Mission and Values
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Why work with The Public Interest Network? Here are ten reasons: https://publicinterestnetwork.org/why-work-with-us/
The Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law. Staff in Florida are not required to be vaccinated or participate in testing.