Environment New Jersey is hiring an experienced advocate to protect public health and the environment by working to move New Jersey to 100% clean renewable energy and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
The Clean Energy Advocate will work with Environment New Jersey’s director and our national program team as well as with our organizers, stakeholders and key coalition allies to build momentum and expand support for New Jersey’s clean, renewable energy future.
Our clean energy advocate will lead our efforts to transition New Jersey to renewable energy and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Coalition Building: Cultivate relationships with diverse and powerful allies across the state and expand the constituencies supporting our efforts.
- Media and Visibility: Get coverage for our campaigns and vision for clean energy in New Jersey in the media and other channels in order to educate and motivate our supporters and hold decision-makers accountable. Write press releases, op-eds, and letters to the editor; meet with reporters and hold press events; maintain an active social media presence for our campaigns.
- Grassroots Mobilization: Work with our staff to mobilize citizens in support of our campaigns both online and offline and develop new leaders. Provide compelling information and opportunities for action to our members and the general public.
- Recruitment and training: Recruit and train new interns and volunteers to increase our impact and build more power. Participate in recruitment of new staff.
- Fundraising: Reach out to foundations and donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Passionate about the environment, solving the climate crisis and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns.
- A campaign advocate or grassroots organizer with at least 2 years of advocacy or grassroots organizing experience. Advanced degrees may count toward experience.
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and public speaking skills. Experience getting traditional and digital media coverage in previous work is a plus.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems, a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A people person and good listener with a track record of successful access-building.
About Environment New Jersey
Environment New Jersey is part of Environment America. Environment America tackles the most profound problem of our time: a way of living that is destroying the natural world.
We’re advocates for energy conservation and renewable power, so we can keep oil in the ground and stop burning fossil fuels. We’re champions of plastic reduction, so nothing we use for a few minutes is allowed to pollute our oceans for centuries. And we’re defenders of wildlife and wild places, both for their own sake as well as the awe and wonder they bring to our lives.
Environment America’s national network of 30 state environmental groups work to improve our quality of life by reducing the pollution and other harms of how we produce, consume and dispose of more and more stuff. And we do it one step at a time, by winning results for clean air, clean water, clean energy, wildlife, open spaces, and a livable climate that make a tangible difference in people’s lives and our environment.
Compensation and Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. We value experience with non-profit organizations, grassroots organizing and/or political work. Environment New Jersey offers a competitive benefits package.
Location: Trenton or New Brunswick
Our Mission and Values
Why work with Environment America? Check out 10 reasons: https://environmentamerica.org/why-work-with-us/
Environment New Jersey and Environment America are part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://environmentamerica.org/core-values/ for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.