Are you a tech-savvy person who cares about the future of the planet, believes that elections should be decided by voters rather than big money, and thinks we should protect public health over corporate profits? Do you believe that organizing and advocacy have the potential to solve the problems that you are most concerned about? Are you interested in using web design and software development to help create social and political change?
The Public Interest Network’s Digital Team is hiring a Developer. Our team works with public interest organizations to work for social change on critical issues like fighting global warming and getting big money out of politics. A key part of our strategy to win in the long-run is to reach and build a large list of supporters who can take action both online and offline and contribute financial support to the campaigns. You’ll help:
- Improve our supporters’ experiences with us online, from receiving emails and signing petitions to communicating with their elected officials and donating;
- Design and develop new ways for our supporters to interact with us and push for social change;
- Create new tools to increase the efficiency of our internal processes like content creation and reporting.
As a Developer with the Digital Team, you’ll apply and grow your skills by:
- Troubleshooting error reports from supporters using our site;
- Working with our CRM vendor and our data team to ensure supporter interactions are accurately recorded in our database;
- Conceptualizing and implementing new supporter facing tools that improve their experience with us;
- Designing and coding new organizer facing tools that increase the efficiency of our work;
- Providing first-line technical support to team members using our in-house tools;
- Completing daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance checks on our systems;
- Helping to design and publish campaign-specific microsites and web apps;
- Improving our internal documentation and training;
- Assisting in other tasks and projects to grow and improve The Public Interest Network’s presence in the digital space.
The ideal candidate for the Digital Team’s Developer will be passionate about creating social and political change. We’re looking for a solid tech generalist who is capable of learning and working with a variety of systems, programming languages, and people.
The ideal candidate will also have familiarity with Python (preferred) or another programming language such as Ruby or PHP.
Comfort with the Linux command line is a plus but not required. Curiosity and an eagerness to learn new skills and languages will be key factors for success.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation range for this position is $32,000-$48,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things To Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Please visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer.